Entrance Requirements for Dental Hygiene Program ONLY (Jersey City Campus)| DH-AAS
◊ Program Not offered Every Semester
Applicants to all programs must follow program-specific criteria listed below. Each applicant will be interviewed and given a tour of the College by his/her assigned admissions representative. Information gathered during this meeting will be presented to the Campus Director for review. If said review results in a positive recommendation, the applicant is encouraged to proceed with the appropriate application process.
Dental Hygiene DH-AAS
The following steps must be taken to complete the admission process for the AAS Dental Hygiene Program:
1. Admissions Application
Complete and submit the official admissions application.
2. High School Diploma or GED
Along with the application, present a copy of the applicant’s HS diploma/transcript, or have the applicant’s high school send a copy of his/her diploma/transcript directly to Eastern International College.
Recipients of a State Equivalency Diploma (GED) must submit a copy of the transcript of their test results with the application. Applicants whose secondary education was in a country outside the U.S. must obtain written official evaluation of transcripts showing equivalency from their native country, using one of the approved evaluating companies, such as WES, ECE, etc.
3. HESI (A2) Test
Take the entire HESI test in a single session. The HESI Test is used to assess student competencies and readiness for entry into the Dental Hygiene program. The exam has been shown to help predict the likelihood of student success in Dental Hygiene program. Specifically, the exam tests students across several academic domains, as well as results in a personality profile used to help identify each applicant’s learning style. Below is an outline of the exam:
- Reading Comprehension – Presents reading scenarios in order to measure reading comprehension; tests for skills meaning of words in context, demonstrating passage comprehension, making logical inferences, etc. and proportion, household measures, general math facts, etc.
- Biology – Covers basic concepts in biology, namely, biological molecules, metabolism, cells, cellular respiration, photosynthesis, etc.
- Anatomy & Physiology– Includes general medical terminology and anatomical structures and systems.
- Chemistry –Covers the basic concepts of composition, structure and properties of substances and the transformation they undergo.
- Learning Style – Assesses the preferred learning style of the prospective applicant and offers test- taking and study tips suited to that learning style.
Foreign-credentialed dentists seeing waiver of the HESI exam must have a course-by- course transcript evaluation conducted using one of the approved evaluating companies, such as WES, ECE, etc. Transcript evaluation is the responsibility of the applicant. Waiver of the HESI exam for foreign- credentialed dentists is subject to the approval of the Admissions Committee.
Submit a personal statement in response to an essay question drafted by the Chair of the Dental Hygiene program.
5. Proof of Citizenship / Legal Status
Submit documentation to show legal status if not a citizen of the United States.
6. Criminal Background Check
All students must undergo criminal history background checks and show favorable results. This will be done before the interview for acceptance into the program.
7. Resume of Work Experience
Submit a current resume. Related work experience will be given preference in the admissions process.
All applicants selected for admission based on their entire application package will have a personal interview with the Dental Hygiene Admission Committee.