Admission Requirements for Dental Hygiene Degree Program (DH-AAS) - Jersey City Campus
Program Archived May 2021
EIC IS NO LONGER ACCEPTING NEW STUDENTS FOR THIS PROGRAM
- Minimum high school Diploma or recognized equivalency certificate (GED)
- Complete Admissions Process
- Take the HESI Exam with a minimum score of 70%
The following steps must be taken to complete the admissions process for the AAS Dental Hygiene Program:
1. Admissions Application
Complete and submit the official admissions application.
2. High School Diploma or GED
Along with the application, present a copy of the applicant’s high school diploma/transcript, or have the applicant’s high school send a copy of their diploma or official transcript directly to Eastern International College.
Recipients of a State Equivalency Diploma (GED) must submit a copy of the transcript of their test results with the application. Applicants whose secondary education was in a country outside the United States must obtain written official evaluation of transcripts showing equivalency from their native country, using an approved evaluating company, such as World Education Services (WES) or Educational Credential Evaluators (ECE). Official electronic transcripts (e-transcripts) are accepted.
3. HESI (A2) Test
Take the entire HESI test in a single session. The HESI Test is used to assess student competencies and readiness for entry into the Dental Hygiene program. The exam has been shown to help predict the likelihood of student success in the Dental Hygiene program. Specifically, the exam tests students across several academic domains, and shows a personality profile used to help identify each applicant’s learning style. Below is an outline of the exam:
- Reading Comprehension – Presents reading scenarios in order to measure reading comprehension; tests for skills such as identifying the main idea, finding meaning of words in context, demonstrating passage comprehension, and making logical inferences.
- Vocabulary and General Knowledge – Contains vocabulary that is commonly used in the English language, as well as that of which is specific to the healthcare field.
- Basic Math Skills – Centers on math skills needed for the healthcare field, including: basic addition; subtraction; multiplication; fractions; decimals; ratio and proportion; household measures; and general math facts.
- Anatomy & Physiology – Includes general medical terminology and anatomical structures and systems.
- Learning Style – Assesses the preferred learning style of the prospective applicant and offers test – taking and study tips suited to that learning style.
- Chemistry – Covers the basic concepts of composition, structure and properties of substances and the transformations they undergo.
A $60.00 fee is charged per attempt for the HESI A2 Admissions Assessment. This is paid by the applicant prior to enrollment.
Submit a personal statement in response to an essay question drafted by the Chair of the Dental Hygiene program.
5. Proof of Citizenship/Legal Status
Submit documentation of legal United States citizenship status
6. Criminal Background Check
Certified verification of a negative criminal background check through Castle Branch.
7. Drug Screen
Students must undergo drug screening that verifies negative results.
All applicants selected for admission based on their entire application package will have a personal interview with the Dental Hygiene Admissions Committee.